Volleyball Maintains Perfect Record with Three More Wins

The volleyball team kept its winning streak alive this past weekend, breezing past Plymouth State College on Wednesday, defeating NESCAC opponent Trinity on Friday night and capping its weekend off with a sweep of UMass Boston.

Amherst’s hot start has resulted in an unblemished 9-0 record through three weekends of play, the team’s best start since 2007.

The Firedogs hosted the Plymouth State Panthers at home in its first weekday match of the season and dominated from the start. Amherst jumped out to a quick 14-5 lead and never looked back, winning the opening set 25-11.

The Panthers looked to reclaim momentum in the second set, as they took an early 4-2 lead, but the Firedogs were not shaken and regained the advantage, closing out the set on an 8-1 run to win 25-18.

Amherst only needed one more set to finish the match, besting the Panthers 25-17 and clinching the three-set sweep.

Claire Dennis ’20 led the Firedogs with nine kills and four blocks, Skyleur Savage ’22 finished with 18 digs and Jaime Dailey ’21 contributed eight kills and 13 digs of her own. Charlotte Duran ’20 led all players with 33 assists.

On Friday, Sept. 21, Amherst hosted the Trinity Bantams, who entered the contest with a record of 5-3.

However, Trinity was quick to respond and took the lead from Amherst late in the set before closing out the first set with a 25-19 win.

The second frame was just as competitive with both teams tied at 16 points apiece.

Amherst was able to spark a run, however, to close the set, winning 25-18.

The Firedogs maintained the momentum as they powered through the third set, winning 25-13.

Amherst ended the match in the fourth set, fending off a furious Bantam comeback to win 25-17. Dailey led both squads with 16 kills, Duran had 32 assists and Savage tallied 21 digs.

Cam Hendricks ’20 and Sophie Launsbach ’22 each posted three blocks, while Emily Kolsky ’20 added eight kills and seven digs.

In its last match of the weekend, Amherst traveled to UMass Boston to take on the Beacons.

The contest was tight to start as both teams traded the lead early, before tying the first set at 12 points each.

Amherst was able to rattle off a 13-4 run to close the set, though, and won the opening frame 25-16.

Amherst looked strong in their second set, cruising to a 25-12 set victory, and sealed its ninth-straight win with a 25-18 third set victory.

The three-set sweep was Amherst’s second of the weekend and sixth of the season.

Kolsky and Dailey each had eight kills, Duran had 27 assists and Savage once again led Amherst with 11 digs.

Dennis contributed seven kills of her own, and co-captain Hayes Honea ’19 added three of Amherst’s six service aces.

Amherst looks to further extend its win streak against Conn. College on Friday night at 7 p.m. in LeFrak Gymnasium.

The team is currently off to its best start since 2007, when the Firedogs won their first eleven games of the season en route to a stellar 30-5 record. That team would eventually lose in the NCAA quarterfinals.

In a highly-anticipated matchup, Amherst will also host reigning NESCAC champions Wesleyan on Saturday, Sept. 29 at 11 a.m. in what should be an excellent contest.