Women's lacrosse outmatches Cardinals

On April 23, the Jeffs visited 20th-ranked Tufts University. The Jeffs cruised to victory in this one, taking a 7-0 lead into the half. Amherst expanded its lead to 11-0 before the Jumbos were able to regroup. Amherst ended up taking the game 13-6.

Five Jeffs recorded multiple goals, including midfielders Liz Martin ’04E and Mary Kate Allen ’03, with three goals and one assist each. Attacker Abby Ouimet ’03 had two goals and an assist, and attacker Erin Beaumont ’03 and Kelly Leisman ’04 made two goals each. Attacker Scotty Hanley ’06 registered the team’s final goal of the game.

Tri-captain goalie Brooke Diamond ’03 and Olivia D’Ambrosio ’05 shared the time in the net for the Jeffs’ sixth straight victory. Diamond registered 10 saves and allowed only one goal in 50 minutes. D’Ambrosio also made two saves while in net.

On Saturday, the third-ranked Jeffs traveled to meet sixth-ranked Williams College for each team’s final regular season NESCAC game of the year.

After a dramatic regulation, the Jeffs and Ephs went into overtime knotted at 11. With only 39 seconds remaining in overtime, Ouimet slid the ball past the Williams’ goalie for her sixth goal of the game and an Amherst victory. Back in October, Ouimet also scored the winning overtime goal for the Jeffs field hockey team against Williams.

“I’ve played on the same field at Williams for both field hockey and lacrosse for the past four years and definitely had my share of good and bad experiences there,” said Ouimet. “But, to leave Williamstown for the last time with an overtime win and knowing that I did a lot to help my team win really was amazing.”

Six other Amherst players made the score sheet, including Martin, who followed in Ouimet’s footsteps as this week’s NESCAC Player of the Week.

Allison Aldrich ’04, Kennon Kay ’05, Hanley and Beaumont each scored one goal. In 66 minutes of play, Diamond made 10 saves.

With just one loss to Middlebury College, the Jeffs arrived in the NESCAC postseason tournament as the second seed with a 12-1 overall record and a 8-1 mark in conference play.

After such a physically and emotionally tiring game on Saturday, the Jeffs returned to Amherst on Sunday to meet Little III foe Wesleyan University in the quarterfinal round of the NESCAC tournament.

In the opening minutes of the game, the exhausted Jeffs found themselves down by five.

However, before the half, the Jeffs rallied and gained their first lead at 7-6. The Jeffs held on from there and ended the game with a 15-9 win.

Leading the attack was Martin, with five goals, Aldrich with four, and Ouimet and Allen with two a piece. Schifter, Sargent and Beaumont also cracked the scoring column. Despite the victory, the Jeffs weren’t exceptionally impressed with the first few minutes of the game.

“In order to be successful for the rest of the season, that can’t happen again,” said Beaumont. “We’re going to have to go out strong and keep up the intensity for every second of every single minute.”

“The deciding factor in each game for the rest of the season will really just be how hard we come out and how much we want it each game,” said Ouimet.

Amherst will face rival Williams one last time in the semifinals on Saturday afternoon at Middlebury. After their most recent victory, the Lord Jeffs are determined to repeat and continue their success in postseason play.

“We realize now that every game could be our last game, and we are playing against other teams fighting to keep their seasons alive as well,” said Ouimet, who is playing in her fourth consecutive NESCAC tournament with the team. “We have to play hard and have no regrets.”