Women's soccer: Crowell saves 16 in Eastern Conn. tie

In this defensive clash between the 12th-ranked Jeffs and the 23rd-ranked Warriors, Crowell was masterful, holding a very physical Warrior team scoreless until the game’s 82nd minute.

Wednesday’s match could almost be described as a battle between Crowell and ECSU forwards Meghann Booth and Caitlin Buzzell. Ten of Crowell’s 16 saves were made on shots from this duo, highlighted by a remarkable sliding save on what looked to be a certain goal by Buzzell 16 minutes in.

Crowell maintained her authority in goal through regulation and both overtimes. She saved the game twice, once with an athletic block of midfielder Jen Ferrari’s shot in the first overtime and then with a rejection of a Buzzell shot soon after.

Wednesday’s match did showcase some offense. Reigning NESCAC Player of the Week Adrienne Showler ’05 headed a cross pass into the back of the net in the 34th minute, putting the Jeffs up 1-0. ECSU continued to pepper Crowell, however, and 82 minutes into the second half striker Jen Orme snuck one past the sophomore keeper.

Despite only earning a draw, the Jeffs remain confident in their team’s ability. “We played well together. They were really physical and aggressive but we controlled the tempo most of the game. Unfortunately, at the end we calmed down, which allowed them to score,” said Heather Nowak ’08.

“We are very positive about the game,” said senior midfielder Lee-Jay Henry. “We played well and showed dominance throughout the game.”