Five College Events

Sept. 29: “Analysis of Partially-Observed Social Network Data,” UMass, 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Krista Gile, Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at UMass Amherst will give a talk detailing three case studies involving social networing. The cases will be used to highlight the variety of questions and approaches used in social network research. Lunch will be provided for this free event.

Oct. 1: “Playhouse-Barbie and Ken,” Mt. Holyoke College, 10:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
The Association of Pan-African Unity will have their first party at the Blanchard Campus Center. The theme for this party will be Barbie and Ken. Admission is five dollars before 11:30 p.m., seven dollars after 11:30 p.m. and eight dollars per couple for the entire night.

Oct. 1: “Fall Reception: Michael Haley,” UMass, 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
UMass Amherst Libraries host the 13th annual Fall Reception with keynote speaker, Michael Hayley, who will give a talk about his life as an Emmy-winning producer, director and actor. Hayley has been in the film industry for 40 years, starting in the 1960s, after he graduated from UMass. The event is free and open to the community.

Oct. 2: “Ilan Stavans Pays Tribute to Moacyr Scliar,” Hampshire College, 2:00 p.m.
Brazilian novelist Moacyr Scliar was one of Latin America’s most influential Jewish writers. His novel, The Centaur in the Garden, was included in the Yiddish Book Center’s list of “Greatest Works of Modern Jewish Literature.” Ilan Stavans, Scliar’s longtime friend and the Lewis-Sebring Professor in Latin American and Latino Culture at Amherst, celebrates Scliar’s life and work with reminiscences, readings and more. This is a free event and will take place in the Yiddish Book Center.

Oct. 4: “Jane Hirshfield Poetry Reading,” Smith College, 7:30 p.m.
Jane Hirshfield’s poems, described by The New York Times as “passionate and radiant,” embrace both human experience and the natural world with empathy and care. Her seventh collection, “Come, Thief,” was just released. A long time Zen practitioner, she has edited and co-translated three poetry anthologies focusing on women’s spirit and is author of “Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry.” Hirshfield’s many honors include fellowships from the Academy of American Poets and the Guggenheim and Rockefeller Foundations. This reading is free to the public and will be held in Weinstein Auditorium in Wright Hall.