Val Hacks: Granola Bar

Looking for a quick snack to eat between classes? Columnist Ivy Haight ’25 shares how to make a crunchy granola bar in this week’s Val Hacks!

Val Hacks: Granola Bar
This easy granola bar is completely customizable to your preferences! Photo courtesy of Ivy Haight ’25.

One of my friends loves the granola in Val, but I think eating it the same way every time can get tiring. With this combination of classic ingredients from Val, my granola enjoyment skyrocketed. The flexibility of this recipe allows you to personalize your granola bar. You can make this in Val, but I prefer to mix the ingredients in my room and put it in the freezer or fridge. This recipe is also great because it can make as many servings as you want!

Directions

• Fill a small to-go box half full of granola of your choosing.
  • Add a sizable amount of peanut butter. I usually judge this amount by turning on the peanut butter machine for around four seconds.
  • Add several pumps of honey.
  • Sprinkle in toppings like chia seeds, raisins, or anything else you might want.
  • Add a packet of Sugar in the Raw or other sweetener. Personally, I like the extra crunch this gives.
  • Mix the ingredients well.
  • Spread a thin layer of butter on parchment paper from the panini press. This is just to make sure that the paper doesn’t stick to your concoction.
  • Place a piece of the granola mixture onto the parchment paper, and roll it into a bar shape.
  • Leave it in the freezer or fridge for a few hours so that it has time to harden a bit, then enjoy!