Campus Crime Log

Jan. 27, 2005

2:50 a.m., Webster Circle: Campus Police towed a car that was parked in violation of the winter parking ban.

11:03 p.m., Crossett Dormitory: Officers responded to a complaint about loud music and found a resident who had a radio playing loudly while he showered. The resident lowered the volume.

12:40 p.m., Coolidge Dormitory: An officer investigated a duress alarm and found no problem.

Jan. 28, 2005

Jan. 28, 2005

12:29 a.m., Hitchcock Dormitory: Officers investigated a duress alarm and found no problem.

2:34 a.m., Converse Hall: Officers responded to a call from the Amherst Police about an intoxicated female. The officers assisted the woman.

4:51 p.m., McGuire Life Sciences: A professor reported receiving repeated hang-up calls. Officers investigated and determined that the calls were from a caller who was accidentally hitting the redial button on his phone.

4:56 p.m., Robert Frost Library: Officers responded to a complaint about children running around “C” level causing a loud disturbance. When the officers arrived the children were gone.

10:23 p.m., Mayo-Smith House: Officers who were on patrol discovered a keg in an open room and several people drinking. The officer confiscated the keg and fined one student $100.

Jan. 29, 2005

Jan. 29, 2005

12:36 a.m., Charles Drew House: Campus Police dispatched ACEMS to assist an intoxicated student who was vomiting in front of the building.

1:20 a.m., Drew: Officers responded to a complaint that a party was getting out of control and proceeded to shut down the party.

6:21 a.m., Moore Dormitory: A resident reported a sexual assault. Campus Police are investigating the matter.

4:47 p.m., Crossett: An officer investigated a duress alarm and found no problem.

8:37 p.m., The Waldorf-Astoria: A resident reported that someone entered his room and stole $40 from his wallet while he was in the shower.

9:06 p.m., Garman House: Food burning in the kitchen activated the fire alarm. Officers fined residents $100.

10:29 p.m., Davis Dormitory: Officers located and confiscated a keg in a first-floor suite. The officers fined one student $100.

11:48 p.m., Crossett: Officers provided assistance to an intoxicated student outside the building.

Jan. 30, 2005

Jan. 30, 2005

1:12 a.m., Crossett: Officers shut down a large unauthorized party. Officers arrested Michael Chiang ’05 for pushing an officer and charged him with disorderly conduct and assault and battery.

1:25 a.m., The Plaza: Campus Police dispatched officers and an ambulance to assist an intoxicated student.

1:40 a.m., Davis: An officer investigated a duress alarm and found no problem.

1:43 a.m., Pond Dormitory: An officer near the building observed a fight that was just breaking up. The officer stood by until all people dispersed.

3:21 a.m., Crossett: Officers responded to a complaint about loud music in a third-floor suite. The music was turned off at the officers’ request.

4:54 a.m., Newport House: Officers responded to a report of a male and female arguing in the parking lot and rendered assistance.

12:35 p.m., Wieland Hall: An officer investigated a duress alarm and found no problem.

Jan. 31, 2005

Jan. 31, 2005

1:10 p.m., Seeyle House: Campus Police dispatched ACEMS to assist an ill student.

3:52 p.m., Davis: A student reported that someone had stolen his coat, hat and gloves while he attended a party in the basement.

8:19 p.m., South Hall: An officer investigated a duress alarm and found no problem.

9:32 p.m., Alumni Gymnasium: Campus Police dispatched an officer and ambulance to an emergency.

Feb. 1, 2005

Feb. 1, 2005

12:22 a.m., Crossett: Officers responded to a noise complaint and found a group of students, many of whom were underaged, playing drinking games. Officers shut down the activity.

4:11 p.m., Keefe Campus Center: Campus Police dispatched ACEMS to assist an injured student.

4:16 p.m., Seligman House: A student reported the theft of a blue Hardrock Specialized bicycle valued at $500.

10:56 p.m., Freshman Quad: An officer responded to a complaint about a man yelling and swearing in front of Johnson Chapel. The man, identified as a UMass student, gave no legitimate reason for being on campus and left at the officers’ request.

Feb. 2, 2005

Feb. 2, 2005

12:30 a.m., Stone Dormitory: Officers responded to a complaint about a loud party on the third floor and found a group of underaged students with alcohol. Officers confiscated the alcohol and dispersed the group.

2:35 a.m., Merrill Science Library: A student reported that her bookbag was stolen from the library.

2:45 p.m., Pond: An officer investigated a duress alarm and found no problem.

5:35 p.m., Crossett: An officer investigated a duress alarm and found no problem.

Feb. 3, 2005

Feb. 3, 2005

4:00 a.m., North Hall: Officers responded to a report of a man yelling outside. Officers spoke to the man, who was a resident of South. Officers had a second encounter with the student at 5:21 a.m. when he was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

2:07 p.m., Newport: Smoke from cooking in the kitchen activated a fire alarm.

Feb. 4, 2005

Feb. 4, 2005

1:14 a.m., Crossett: Officers responded to a noise complaint and found people in suites on the first and third floors. Officers issued a warning. Campus Police received another noise complaint at 1:48 a.m. Officers located music in a different suite and asked residents to lower the volume.